Review, Swatches, Dupes, Price of MAC Heroine Matte Lipstick
In summers, the mere thought of putting on a bright lipstick, let alone a dark one might seem daunting, winter is officially the season when one can get away with wearing all those deep purples, plums and burgundies. This season I splurged on a bright purple from MAC, the very famous MAC Heroine lipstick which I will review and swatch today. VNA already has a review on the Heroine lip pencil. Heroine is one of their bestsellers and almost always sold out online and in stores. A lot of dupes have now come in the market but none can match Heroine! Read on to know how it fared for me.
MAC Heroine is a matte lipstick and MAC describes it as a bright purple.
My Review of MAC Heroine Matte Lipstick:
Heroine is a very bright lipstick, definitely the most bold lip shade I own. It is almost a bluish purple. When looking at the lipstick in the bullet it may appear to be a very unique shade, and it definitely is but once I tried it on, I was surprised by how wearable the mac lipstick is if coordinated with the right kind of eye makeup. Since mac heroine is such a bright shade on its own, I like to keep the rest of my makeup light with this one. This heroine lipstick looks best paired with muted pink blush and nothing too dramatic on the eyes. If you can pull it off, this purple shade can become your favorite in no time.
I have a thing for MAC matte lipsticks. They are by far my favorite formula. They apply easily and smoothly despite the fact that they are not straight up buttery or creamy in texture. Mac heroine lipstick is a true matte lipstick and not just one that only claims to be. It goes totally opaque in just one swipe. The color on the lips appears the same as that in the bullet. However, this mac lipstick does tend to make lips dry and it does settle in fine lines on the lips. Also, it is important to exfoliate lips beforehand so this lipstick does not accentuate the dry patches on lips, because otherwise the purple lipstick can end up looking downright hideous (talking from experience. LOL!).
It took me by surprise that how long lasting this lipstick is. MAC Heroine stays on for a good 6+ hours and actually if I don’t take it off with a proper makeup remover, the stain it leaves behind stays for longer than 8+ hours. It’s a good thing that re-application is not required as such when wearing this mac lipstick as it has a great staying power. However, more than two swipes of this purple lipstick at once can make lips appear cakey. I have nothing against its texture but I would have liked it a little more had it been a velvety matte instead of a normal matte.
Pros of MAC Heroine Matte Lipstick:
- Mac heroine is a bright purple shade, and such shades are very in at the moment
- If you can pull it off, the lipstick can look absolutely stunning paired with a pink blush
- The lipstick stands true to its claim of being matte. It does not have any glossiness or creaminess. It comes on totally matte on the lips.
- Gives good coverage. Two swipes is all it takes to give an opaque purple color on the lips.
- It stays on for good 6-8 hours without much fading and it leaves a deep purple stain behind.
- Easily available shade at all MAC counters.
- Though not a shade one can wear on an everyday basis, it definitely is a unique one.
- Has the classic vanilla scent that all MAC lipsticks do.
Cons of MAC Heroine Matte Lipstick:
- The price!! From INR 990 to INR 1450, that is some price hike, MAC!
- If you are not into matte lipsticks, skip it.
- It does not have a creamy or buttery texture. It does tend to get a bit heavy and cakey on the lips if worn in multiple swipes.
- If lips are not properly exfoliated, it accentuates dry patches and even settles in fine lines on the lips.
- It has bluish undertones. If not coordinated well with the rest of the face makeup, the lipstick can and will end up looking hideous.
- Dupes for this lipstick are available in many drugstore brands.
Price in India: Rs.1450
VNA Rating: 3.5/5
Dupes: Maybelline Brazen Berry, Inglot 281, Revlon Matte Balm Shameless, MUFE 15
Recommendation: I recommend this shade to those with cool undertones, who can pull off such bright shades as it clearly has bright blue undertones to it. If you are not into matte lips, you can skip it right away. If you like bright lip colors and don’t mind it being matte or even a bit drying in texture, I’d say you have to have it!
By Contributor: Trisha